Parents who wish to have their child baptized should arrange for the baptism of their child at least two months in advance to allow for the required preparation for this sacrament. Parents presenting a child for baptism are expected to attend a preparation class for parents and godparents.
- Baptisms are held during any Sunday Mass including the 4pm Vigil Mass on Saturday afternoon, except during the seasons of Advent and Lent.
- The Baptism Ceremonies in November and December 2014 are filled.
- Baptism Ceremonies for January and February are as follows:
- January 4th and 18th at 1:30pm
- February 1st and 15th at 1:30pm
- Baptisms are NOT held during the season of Lent.
Click here to fill out a request for Baptism which will be submitted to our parish office. You will receive an email confirmation. Please note that to complete a request, a copy of your child’s birth certificate will be required. This may be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org or mailed to: St. Augustine Parish, 35 Essex St., Andover, MA 01810.
When selecting godparents for your child, please remember that the godparents represent the faith of the parish community into which the child is being baptized. Thus, the godparent should be a strong role model and witness to the life of a Catholic Christian committed in faith to stand with the parents of the child. Furthermore, canon law requires that a candidate for Baptism, membership in the Church community, should be sponsored by a baptized and confirmed member of the Catholic Church who is willing and able to help the child develop and grow in the Catholic Faith. There must be at least one sponsor or godparent. In the case where there are two sponsors, one must be male and the other female. The maximum number of sponsors is two. The minimum age for a baptized and confirmed Catholic to be a sponsor is sixteen (16) years of age. A baptized Christian non-Catholic may not be a sponsor but may be a witness. Non-baptized persons may not officially act as a sponsor or a witness to a Baptism of a child in the Catholic Faith.
The Baptismal Preparation Team seeks to prepare parents for their child’s baptism with a one hour workshop that has the following goals:
- Welcome families to their faith community
- Educate parents about the history, meaning, and symbolism of the Sacrament of Baptism in the Catholic Church
- Acquaint the parents with the rituals of the ceremony itself
- Encourage parents and godparents to be actively involved in their faith community
- Involve parents in a reflection of the presence of God in their lives
Upcoming workshops are scheduled for:
- Tuesday, October 28th
- Tuesday, November 11th
- Tuesday, December 16th
They are held at 6:30PM in St. Augustine Church by Dan and Jacqueline Fague who can be reached at (978) 623-0944 or via e-mail at email@example.com.
Dan and Jacqueline invite any and all interested persons to help them in this rewarding ministry. Contact them for more information.