Welcome to the St. Augustine Confirmation Program! Our Confirmation preparation program runs for two years, grades 9 & 10, with the celebration of the Sacrament taking place in the early fall of junior year. All students, even those attending Catholic high school, who wish to receive the Sacrament must register and attend the program for both years.
Class, Prayer Experiences, Teen Masses and Service are the main components of the program and participation in all are expected. Additionally a retreat and student interview in the second year will complete the Confirmation preparation process. Confirmation is a sacrament of Christian initiation and is necessary for the completion and strengthening of baptismal grace.
Thanksgiving Food Drive
Confirmation 1 students Brendan Cote, Luke Conley, Luke Tremblay, and Josh Roux organized a neighborhood food drive in their respective neighborhoods, to collect food for the Lazarus house Thanksgiving food drive. They created flyers and collected from all of their neighbors. Collectively, they accumulated 35 bags and boxes of food
Thanksgiving Food Drive
Confirmation 2 students Owen Cote, Colin Flanagan, Tim Jaracz, Elyse Jaracz (confirmation 1 student), Nate Bernardin, Thomas Enman, and Vince Aguirre ran a food drive collection for Lazarus House. The kids created flyers and collected food from their neighbors. The boys and Elyse collectively gathered 40 bags and boxes of food.
Confirmation Playlist - Prayer Experiences, Teen Masses, and Misc.
Click on the "Playlist" tab at right to see video selection.
Catechesis for the sacrament is centered on the meaning of the sacrament as is expressed in the Rite of Confirmation and the Catechism of the Catholic Church. The curriculum will include:
- Following Christ in the community of the Church
- God present and active in our lives
- The gifts of the Holy Spirit
- The challenge of Confirmation
- Elements of liturgical catechesis
- The role of a sponsor
Faith and Spiritual Development
To aid the spiritual development of the students, prayer experiences are offered. These will help them to develop their personal spirituality and to deepen their relationship with God. Monthly Teen Masses allow our young people the ability to participate in the liturgical life of the parish.
Confirmation Service Project
Jared Comosa, Matthew Dlusniewski & Cole Kelosoglu with Jim Hauer from the Knights of Columbus working to tidy up our Parish Prayer Garden
Service allows the students to follow Jesus’ example who came “to serve not to be served” and these experiences should be centered on the Corporal Works of Mercy.
Candidates are expected to complete 20 hours of service by August of each Confirmation year (15 hours for 2023-24). There will be opportunities within the parish for service and these will be emailed to you but finding appropriate service in the wider community is encouraged. Often service opportunities are available through school but if you are planning to complete your own service hours, outside of those offered through the Church, please check with us to make sure that they will “count” as service.
We provide service hours opportunity in the form of “assistant catechist” and "hall monitor" in the Religious Education program. This allows students who are in the Confirmation program to help in the classroom with an experienced catechist and to monitor compliance with our safety program. We are also encouraging students to volunteer in the Hospitality Ministry, especially for Sunday Masses as church guides Please contact Bridget Rao for more information.
Please keep a record of all your service hours and once you have completed 15 hours, submit this information in an email to Bridget Rao.
Confirmation Service Projects
Despite the challenges of this past year, we have been able to find service projects for our Confirmation students who have responded most generously and enthusiastically!
Hike for Hope - Lazarus House
Food Drive sorting and loading - Lazarus House
We "whisk" you a Merry Christmas - Lazarus House & Homebound Parishioners of St. Augustine Parish
Christmas Scarves - Lazarus House
Valentine Gift Bags - Communities Together
Distribution of palms at Palm Sunday Masses
Lenten diaper and underwear drive - Communities Together
Ongoing & Current Projects:
- Children's Liturgy of the Word : Children ages 4-6 are invited to hear the Word of God downstairs in St. Rita Hall during selected dates at the Sunday 9:30am Mass. They leave before the readings and return at the collection. They are engaged in singing, activities around the readings, coloring pages, and learning about our faith at their level. You can do this with a friend too! Please contact Sr. Madonna at email@example.com if you would like to help at one of the following dates and themes.
December 10: Advent-Christmas
January 7: New Year
February 11: Preparing for Lent
March 10: Holy Week - Easter
- Screen Ministry: During the Sunday 9:30AM Mass. Volunteers will have a mentor to be with them until they feel confident and then they would sign up with the ministry scheduler with their preferences of dates and times. Please contact Sr. Madonna if interested: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Teen Mass: Service hours are given to those who are lectors (readers), musicians, singers, and greeters. Contact Bridget Rao: email@example.com
- Religious Ed Mass and Open House- Sunday, Nov. 19th, 9am-Noon: Help is needed at the 9:30AM Mass and with setup, serving refreshments, and cleanup. Contact Bridget Rao: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Thanksgiving Food Drive- Monday, November 20th, Parish Center 3:30-5pm. Help needed to sort food donations and load the Lazarus House truck. Contact Bridget Rao
- Lazarus House: Clean out those closets (with permission of course!) 2 service hours given for every clothing donation bag donated. If you're unsure of the condition of your donation and wondering if it's "gently used", ask yourself: "Would I give this to my best friend?" Any donations that are considered unusable must be disposed of at the ministry's expense so please do not donate anything stained or torn.
Bring your donations to the South Union Street Thrift Store, 229 South Union Street, Lawrence, MA (978)557-5449
Open Mon-Sat: 10am-2:30pm
(closed some holidays. Please call to confirm holiday hours)
- Project Bethlehem: This project offers a unique opportunity to provide personalized Christmas joy. As a donor, you select a family size that you are able to support. Once we match you with a family, you purchase toys, games, and gift cards right from the family’s wish list, wrap your gifts, and deliver them to Lazarus House, where the Project Bethlehem elves act as the conduit of your goodness and generosity. Visit their webpage for all details.We invite you join this Christmas, and encourage you to share information about Project Bethlehem with family, friends, co-workers, and neighbors!
- Packed Lunches for Lazarus House : Lazarus House Soup Kitchen has been hit hard by Covid and are reaching out requesting if packed lunches could be provided and they will distribute to those people in need of food.
Service Hours credited: 2 hours of service for every packed lunch made and delivered.
Packed Lunch ingredients: 1 sandwich, 1 bottled water or fruit juice, 1 snack (chips/goldfish/wrapped cookies) and 1 piece of fruit
Drop-off Location: The Good Shepherd Center, 412 Hampshire Street, Lawrence, MA - Mon-Fri: 8am-4pm
- Water Bottle Drive: Lazarus House has expressed the dire need for cases of water.
Service Hours credited: 2 hours of service for every 12-pack of bottled water you bring to Lazarus House.
Drop-off Locations: St. Martha's Food Pantry, 242 Hampshire Street, Lawrence, MA - Weekdays: 9am-2pm.
or The Good Shepherd Center, 412 Hampshire Street, Lawrence, MA - Mon-Sat: 10am-3pm
PLEASE KEEP A RECORD OF YOUR OWN SERVICE HOURS AND SUBMIT VIA EMAIL WHEN YOU HAVE COMPLETED 15 HOURS.
2022-23 info and Mass Selection
The date/times for Confirmation are:
The 2023-24 Confirmation dates will be announced late Spring 2024
Confirmation 2024 Directions (coming Spring '24)
Confirmation 2024 Virtual Retreat Instructions (coming Spring'24)
Interview Form - 2024 (coming Spring'24)
End-of-Year Review - 2024 (coning Spring'24)
Teen Mass & Prayer Experiences
Teen Masses will be in person once a month.
Prayer Experience- some in person & virtual.
Classes will be held once a month - in person.
2023 Confirmation Parent Meeting -in person