A Mission Church of St. Augustine’s
20 High Vale Lane Andover, MA 01810 978.475.0050
St. Joseph church is a mission church of St. Augustine Parish. The church is available for weddings, individual baptisms, and funeral services. It has a capacity of 180 worshippers. Please contact the parish office for information on scheduling and availability.
Brief history of St. Joseph – In 1866, in response to the needs of his parishioners from the southern section of town, St. Augustine Parish’s pastor Maurice J. Murphy, O.S.A. purchased property in Ballardvale and, on February 4, 1866, began celebrating Mass in the hall over the Boston and Maine Railroad Depot. Priests traveled weekly from downtown Andover on horseback for the convenience of the Catholic community of Ballardvale, but by the end of the 1870s, it was evident the hall was inadequate. In response, St. Joseph’s Mission Church was built overlooking the village with enough pews to accommodate 200 people. The wood frame church with its Gothic white marble altar, two small side altars, and choir loft was dedicated on October 23, 1881. While the church has undergone many renovations during the past 125 years, nothing has changed the spirit of the people who continue to create a community of cohesiveness and love.
Learn about the beautiful Rose Window in St. Joseph…